- 1.25kg (2 1/2 lb) lean brisket of Scotch Beef, boned and rolled
- 15ml (1tbsp) oil
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 6 - 8 baby carrots, peeled
- 4 sticks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- Black pepper
- 450ml (3/4 pt) beef stock
- 150ml (1/4 pt) dark ale
- 15-30ml (1 - 2tbsp) gravy granules
Temperature: Gas mark 3, 170C, 325F
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the joint and brown all sides.
Place in a deep 3.4 litre (6pt) ovenproof casserole. Arrange the onions, carrots, celery and bay leaves around the joint and season well. Add the stock and brown ale. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 2 hours.
Thicken with gravy granules if desired.
Serve joint cut into thick slices with braised vegetables and new potatoes.